As you know, the United States experiences frequent storms, including hail, wind, and tornadoes, that cause extensive property damage. In 2019, for instance, there were 5,382 hailstorms in the country. When storms occur, the structure of your roof can be significantly affected, you can be injured, and they can also lead to loss of life. After a damaging hail event, you need to consider urgent professional roof replacement.
What Are the Different Types of Roof Storm Damage?
Every storm damage poses a unique problem to the roof. In case of a storm, you should expect three main damages:
- Water Damage- It's common after heavy rainfall.
- Hail Damage- After a hailstorm, you may notice dark spots on the shingle roof or dark spots on the metal roof.
- Wind Damage- Strong winds, such as a tornado, can lift shingles, leading to the permanent displacement of the entire roof.
Choosing a Roofer
If you want an exceptional roofing job, you need to engage a professional. With over 111,834 roofing contractors in the US, getting the right one can be challenging, primarily if you are doing it for the first time.
Here are the four main questions to guide you:
- Where Are They Located? - It's always advisable to engage a local contractor, mainly one who operates within your neighborhood. Such a contractor is familiar with national and local building codes and can promptly respond to urgent roof replacement needs.
- Are They Licensed? - Before hiring a particular roof replacement contractor, ask them to show you their contractor's license. A practicing license shows that a company has been cleared to provide roofing services after meeting all requirements. Thus, you are assured of an excellent roofing job that complies with all building codes.
- What Are Their Charges? - After a storm, you probably have limited resources. So, choose a contractor who works within your budget. However, remember that some slightly expensive companies are more reputable and provide high-quality roofing.
- What Types of Roofing Do They Install? - There are different types of roofing, including solar tiles, asphalt shingles, metal roofing, slate, stone-coated steel, and rubber slate. It's advisable to choose a roof replacement company familiar with a variety of roofing materials and styles.
Other Factors to Consider
Once you have satisfactory answers to the four questions above, you should ask the contractor to provide at least three references to check their previous works. Also, consider their mode of payment, especially if they can accept insurance payments and credit cards. More importantly, ask about on-site inspections and their mode of disposing of old roofing materials.
The Bottom Line
If a storm has severely damaged your roof or you want to replace the existing one, choose a contractor who will do a good job. The first step towards getting a reputable and highly experienced roof replacement company is to establish your roofing needs and options.Share